Saturday, January 3, 2015

Adventures in Mommyland part 1: Adjusting to being a SAHM

I became a mother almost 3 months ago, and I love it so far. I have decided to become a stay at home mom this year (SAHM). I had a really hard time with this, especially at first because I have worked my entire life, since I was a teenager. I have never stayed home without trying to find a job, like finding a job was my job. Anyway, I'm in a place in my life where my husband makes a sufficient amount of money, and if I didn't take at least the first year off, I knew I would regret it!

So anyway, I'm staying home, but I want to try and do this motherhood thing 100%. I only want one child so I really want to do it right. My goals this year are:

1. Learn how to cook well. I'm not trying to be a 5 star chef, but I never cooked before, so this should be a huge undertaking for me. In the words of Carrie Bradshaw, "My oven could be used for storage."  My husband has taught me how to make some Korean dishes so far and I've done some crock-pot freezer meals, but I have started to get pretty excited about this whole endeavor.

2. Learn how to organize my home sufficiently. I'm just going to say it: I'm a slob. I'm disorganized and spontaneous and I don't clean house until it disgusts me. That's all in the past. I want to be organized from top to bottom and live very minimal, only buying things that we need and just really, really want. So far this is not going well. I tend to buy everything I think I need for baby right away without doing much research. Old habits die hard. I am still a slob at heart, but I am trying very hard to be cleaner, more organized and more sanitary. Lawd, help me!! Also, if it is a really great deal, then I tend to buy, thinking, "I may need this one day." I need to put myself on a schedule of cleaning and organizing room by room for the week. Actually, I've tried and failed, but I may try again.

3. Getting back into great shape. I have never had a super toned or fit physique, but I would like to try to at least get back to the size I was when I was living in Korea. We are going to travel to South Korea for my son's first birthday. The first birthday is a huge deal in Korea. I am so excited about it, because it will also double as my husband and I's wedding reception. (Even though we will have been married for 4 years at that point.) So we will get to dress in Korean traditional clothing and have a huge party. I will finally get my Korean Wedding!! We were planning to have a Korean wedding as well as an American wedding when we first got married, but we decided to do all these other things instead, such as, move across country, travel, buy a house, and have a child. We haven't been able to make it back to Korea. So having said all that, I have to get back into shape! At my skinniest, I feel like I still look like a blimp compared to Korean women.

I went on a date a Korean guy once and he told me and I quote, "Jessica, you are so beautiful, but you would be even more beautiful, if you lost some weight." Needless to say, we never went on another date. When I was teaching there, I swear at least one or more students a year would come up to me and point to my stomach and say, "Teacher, baby?" I wanted to say in response, "Yeah, your daddy's baby!"; "Go tell your mom," but instead, I would say, "No, I am just fat.!"

I don't mean to brag, but my husband is a very attractive Korean man. I mean in Korean standards, I feel like we are not on the same level of hotness. He is attractive in America, but in Korea, I'm pretty sure he's hot enough to be an actor. So having said that, I have to get back to being relatively hot. I don't know if I trust these skinny Korean girls around my husband.

I have to get back in shape. So I'm thinking of joining the gym, but for now, I have been going on hikes around Nashville with my baby and doing baby yoga, taking walks around the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment